- Sept. 19th – 8 Palestinians wounded when Israeli troops attack peaceful anti-wall protest near Hebron, wounded include 9 year old boy.
- Sept. 19th – special military hearing set for imprisoned Palestinian legislator Hussam Khader, due to lack of evidence after main witness withdrew testimony.
- Sept. 19th – Palestinian political prisoners report of humiliating treatment by guards during recent hunger strike.
- U.S. President Bush addresses UN General Assembly, calls for Israeli freeze on settlement building; Israeli officials claim this is already being implemented, with no building of “new settlements” taking place.
- George Bush also defended his illegal invasion of Iraq and called for support from the world community.
A special commemoration of the 22nd anniversary of the massacre in Sabra and Shatila Palestinian refugee camps in Beirut, Lebanon. Two reports were read, one from Badil Resource Center for Palestinian Refugee Rights, and the other from Al Awda, the Palestinian Right to Return Coalition. Both reports highlighted the role of Ariel Sharon, then Israeli defence minister, in the massacres and the fact that no-one has ever been brought to justice for what happened. A brief discussion after the reports detailed the complicity of the U.S. government, which gave guarantees for the safety of the civilians in the refugee camps once the Palestinian resistance fighters left Beirut in August 1982.
Focus on Zionism:
Excerpts of a Sept. 20 report from the Israeli newspaper Haaretz about the sale of 5000 “smart bombs” to Israel from the U.S. Funding will come from U.S. military aid to Israel. The deal faced no political obstacles, even though Israel has been using such bombs in its extra judicial executions that have killed many civilians.