- May 29th – Israeli soldiers kill a Palestinian man in Hebron, in the same spot
where two Palestinian teens were also murdered by troops earlier this year.
- Israel due to release about 400 Palestinian political prisoners; however,
most of them are short-term prisoners, who had almost finished their
sentences and none of the pre-Oslo prisoners have yet to be released.
- Palestinians warn Israel that its air raids into Gaza threaten the truce
Israel says it may reoccupy Gaza towns to “secure” its pullout in August.
- May 31st – senior Israeli news anchor presents his documentary showing the ugly
face of Israel’s settlement policy.
- Palestinian election officials delay the re-vote in several Gaza
municipalities, due to a Hamas boycott.
Highlights of a presentation by Dr. Jacqueline Sfeir, Dean of Education at
Bethlehem University, at the Palestine Centre in Vancouver on May 28th. Dr.
Sfeir was in B.C. at the invitation of the Federation of Post Secondary
Educators, and she had earlier addressed their AGM in Kamloops to a standing
ovation. Dr. Sfeir spoke movingly of how the Israeli occupation and its
daily restrictions affect the lives of Palestinian students and their access
Focus on Zionism:
Excerpts of a May 31st, 2005 release from the Christian Peacemaker Team,
highlighting a story written by one of their members entitled “Annexation
wall strangling Bethlehem”.