- Thousands protest in Nazareth in support of Azmi Bishara, the Israeli Palestinian political leader and former Knesset member being persecuted by the Israeli establishment.
- Israel seizes more Palestinian land near Jericho to build the separation wall.
- A recent UN report shows that the humanitarian situation in the occupied Palestinian territories is deteriorating rapidly; in Gaza, 80% of households earn less than $1US/day.
- Israeli PM Olmert under pressure to resign after critical report is released on Israel’s handling of its 2006 war on Lebanon.
- Quartet members plan to meet with Egypt, Jordan, Syria and Saudi Arabia to discuss the 2002 Arab peace initiative; U.S. reportedly wants Saudi Arabia to deal publicly now with Israel before any agreement is reached.
The feature was a cultural one, highlighting the music of famous Egyptian nationalist singer Abdul Halim Hafez. Several of Abdul Halim’s songs were played and some of the lyrics translated. There was also discussion of what he had meant to his generation in the 1960s as a voice for the nationalist aspirations of the long-colonized Arab people.
Focus on Zionism:
Highlights of an April 28th, 2007 report from International Solidarity Movement Hebron about the Israeli settler and military harassment of human rights workers.
Here is an audio file of this show: