- Lebanon calls for an immediate and comprehensive ceasefire at the U.N. Security Council, as well as an investigation into Israel’s bombing of civilians at Qana.
- Lebanon’s health minister says at least 750 Lebanese, most of them civilians, have been killed by Israel’s military offensive; 50 Israelis, including 18 civilians, are dead.
- U.N. Security Council deplores the Israeli attack on Qana, but stops short of calling for ceasefire due to U.S. pressure.
- EU foreign ministers water down demands for an immediate ceasefire, after pressure from Britain and Germany; meanwhile, the EU continues to reject adding Hezbollah to its “terrorist list”.
- U.S. Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice returns from MidEast trip, claiming she believes a ceasefire can be attained “this week”; Lebanese Prime Minister Fouad Siniora cancelled talks with Rice after the Qana killings.
- Israeli aircraft bomb Gaza, killing a 14-year-old boy; a 13-year-old Palestinian girl dies of wounds from another Israeli strike last week.
A live interview with Khalid Mouammar from Toronto, the new president of the Canadian Arab Federation. Khalid spoke about the ongoing national protests against Israel’s military aggression on Lebanon and Palestine, and also detailed people’s outrage at the position of Canadian PM Stephen Harper. He updated listeners on the meeting of the Foreign Affairs Committee, which had just finished, and criticized the current government for not representing the best interests of the Canadian people. He also noted, that as a Palestinian Christian, Israeli missiles do not distinguish between people on the ground and explained how all sectors in Lebanon and Palestine are against Israeli occupation of Arab lands.
Focus on Zionism:
Highlights of an article by Christian Henderson, carried in the July 30th, 2006 Aljazeera.net about the desperate by defiant mood on the street in Lebanon. He explained how most Lebanese, a current poll said 87% from all sects, are now supporting the resistance’s fight against Israel’s invasion.
Here is an audio file of this show: